In the middle of the night Angie heard a loud knock on the door and someone urging her to get out because the building was on fire. She grabbed her daughter who was an infant and her son who was 3 years old. She woke her son who was 6 years old and told him to follow her down the stairs. When she got outside and put the younger ones down she turned around only to find that her 6 year old had not followed her. She broke free from neighbors who were trying to hold her back and ran up 3 flights of stairs to find her son frozen in fear in the entrance to her apartment. There was a fire escape window but the landlord had screwed the child guard into the window frame with tamper proof screws. She had asked the landlord, before the fire, to remove the screws from the window guard but he refused. In a valiant effort to preserve her life and her son's life, she went into the bathroom and turned on the shower to buy a few minutes knowing the fire department was on the way. After turning on the shower the ceiling collapsed landing on her and causing significant burns to her back. The fire department found her, unconscious, draped over the tub with the ceiling on top of her.