What Should You Do if You Are Involved in an Accident?
1. DO NOT DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL ATTENTION (request medical attention as a precaution)
2. MAKE A POLICE REPORT (preferably at the scene of the accident, or at the appropriate precinct if the police do not report to the scene)
3. OBTAIN WITNESS INFORMATION (Name, Address, Phone number)
4. TAKE PHOTOS (of the accident scene, injuries, vehicle damage, etc.)
5. RETAIN AN ATTORNEY (as soon as possible to protect your rights, ensure that you comply with time constraints, ensure that you receive medical coverage and wage reimbursement etc.)
6. DO NOT ADMIT RESPONSIBILITY.
7. BE SUSPICIOUS OF ANYONE WHO TRIES TO PERSUADE YOU TO RETAIN AN ATTORNEY (there are people called "runners" who use police scanners to find out about accidents... they respond to the scene of the accident and try to persuade you to see an attorney that they recommend, or attend a medical clinic...there are people in emergency rooms who will try to persuade you to use their attorneys... there are people who work in hospitals that will recommend attorneys... there are even people who will claim that they work for a charitable organization and they will help you obtain medical benefits and an attorney...and there are medical clinics who will tell you that you have to use an attorney that they work with or recommend... DO NOT BE FOOLED!!! The runners are paid for every case they refer. You are allowed to use any attorney you choose. You are permitted to go to any medical facility or doctor you wish. Attorneys who use runners are engaging in activities that are not only dishonest, but ILLEGAL. Maintaining credibility throughout the pendency of your case is critical...do not compromise your credibility by retaining an attorney who fails to value his/her own credibility)
8. DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE ABOUT THE ACCIDENT OTHER THAN YOUR ATTORNEY (direct all inquiries about the accident or your injuries to your attorney).
9 . REPORT THE ACCIDENT TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY ( your policy may require that you report the accident within a certain amount of time).
(212) ANSWERS = (212) 267-9377
What you should do if you are involved in an accident:
- SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION
- CALL THE POLICE
- OBTAIN WITNESS INFO
- RETAIN AN ATTORNEY
- DON'T SPEAK TO ANYONE RE: ACCIDENT (OTHER THAN YOUR ATTY)
- DON'T ADMIT LIABILITY
- REPORT ACCIDENT TO YOUR INS. CO. THEY RECOMMEND TO THE BAR ASSOC.
- CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE CO.